Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Front Yard: 3/17/15

Well that St. Patrick's Day came and went without even a tiny bit of celebration at our house.  No green food.  No green drinks.  No shamrock shaped sandwiches.  Ah well.  Our neighbor shares his birthday with the holiday, so the kids colored him a leprechaun, wrote happy birthday wishes on the back,  and took it down to him after dinner.  He recently had knee replacement surgery and has been havin' a heck of a time with recovery, so according to The Dad, it was one of the best parts of his day.  So I'm really glad we remembered.

As for yard happenings, things are still comin' along with the quickness.  Rain, sun, rain, sun, rain, makes for some pretty optimal spring growing conditions.  Here's what's happening out front this week.

I made a run to Garden Fever and Portland Nursery last week, and didn't really find anything too exciting to bring home.
Well, actually, I found lots of things, but the wallet wouldn't allow them.
So I ended my trek at Home Depot, and got my fix with some happy, cheap, primroses.






One of the moms at school shared some babies with me and this Hellebore was one of them.


As you can see from the flowers on the ground, the Mt. Fuji flowering cherry tree is blooming.
I love it.






The plant that I called Marsh Marigold for yeeeeears, was properly identified by Tamara at Chickadee Gardens as Lesser Celandine.
I didn't need the identification websites to tell me it was invasive.  The yard this time of year speaks for itself.
It's everywhere.
I really don't mind it, though.  It's awfully pretty, and it's fairly easy to pull once its done blooming.



The Hyacinth is attempting to fight its way through it.




Another plant that is on a lot of people's naughty list is the Muscari, or Grape Hyacinth.
Again, yes, it's pretty good at taking over, but I still love them.
This one came with the house, and has continued to spread the love since.





Remember my free, you-dig, Maple tree?  
He's starting to leaf out and is soooo cute.






The Lungwort is bloomin' pretty good now, too.




And last, one of my all-time favorite spring bulbs, the Snowflakes, or Leucojum if you're fancy, are blooming.
I have two clumps of it out front.  I need to move a piece to the back this year.












And that's it for today in the front yard.
I'll try to get out on the sidewalk with my camera this week.
I ripped out a bunch of stuff all along the area right outside the fence, something I've been talking about doing for years, and I've been been busy down in the parking strip, as well.
Photos to come.


8 comments:

  1. I really like those snowflakes! I need to plant some next year for sure! They are beautiful! And yes your maple is adorable! I have been seeing bits of green trying to push through so maybe just maybe I am not that far behind you now!!! Happy gardening my friend and oh...We did nothing on St Paddy's day ....we did do the parade last weekend but the day of was just a typical day...need to take it up a notch next year! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Your flowering Cherry Tree is dreamy! Just dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is looking great. Ahhhh..I love Springtime. It's so nice to see all the little flowers poking their heads up in your soil. I can't wait for the same thing to happen here in Michigan. It's still chilly, but things are melting, the days are longer and we are definitely on the downward slope to Spring.

    Cheers,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lookin' good Miss Rindy Mae! Love the maple…I didn't know that about the grape hyacinths! Well…you learn something new every day if you're not careful. As simply Suzannes says, "simply dreamy"….

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your front and back gardens are looking terrific Mindy! The Mt. Fuji flowering cherry tree is spectacular.
    It is so nice to see some green! Everything is brown and dead looking here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh, love it all, as usual. The flowering cherry is spectacular. I always tell myself to plan more spring bulbs in fall, but I don't listen to me. What to do?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything is looking sooo good. I always look forward to seeing your patio in the spring and summer...such a great spot to get outside ...you always have it fixed up so pretty. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Leucojum (I'm fancy!) but I have never grown it. Your photos are gorgeous. Nice score on the maple!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover