Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Garbanzo Bean Tagine With Chicken and Apricots

I'm still working my way through our last meal plan.  This was a new recipe I got out of our paper and it was definitely a one-pot wonder.  Super easy and super yummy.

To note, when I went into the pantry to pull out the bulgur, I realized what I had was barley, so I ended up using quinoa instead.  I also didn't have any parsley, but planned on using cilantro as a substitute.  Well, it had turned into mush in my crisper drawer, so the bowl and my pictures are lacking in the color department.  It still tasted delicious in spite of it.

Here's the recipe with my notes:

Garbanzo Bean Tagine With Chicken and Apricots

2 Tbsp olive oil
4 skinless chicken thighs (mine were boneless as well)
1 large onion, chopped
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 C chopped dried apricots
1 C chopped tomato, fresh or canned with juice (I used one 14oz can of diced)
2 C cooked or canned garbanzo beans, drained with liquid reserved (I used two cans)
1 to 2 C chicken broth, bean liquid or water (I used the bean liquid with enough water to make up the 2 cups)
1/2 C uncooked bulgur (I used 1/2 C quinoa)
Salt and pepper
1/2 C chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

Put oil in a large, deep pot over medium-high heat.  When oil is shimmering, add chicken and brown well on both sides; remove from pan and set aside.  Reduce heat to medium, add onion to the pan and cook until soft, about five minutes; add garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, dried apricots and tomato.  Cook and stir just long enough to loosen any brown bits from bottom of pan.

Add garbanzo beans and 1 cup of broth or bean liquid to the pan and turn heat back to medium-high.  When mixture reaches a gentle bubble, return chicken to the pan.  Cover pot, turn heat to low and cook, checking occasionally to make sure the mixture is bubbling gently, for about 15 minutes or until tomatoes break down and flavors begin to meld.  Stir in bulgur, adding more liquid if necessary so that the mixture is covered with about an inch.  Seaon with salt and pepper.

Cover and cook until the chicken and bulgur are both done, about 10 to 15 minutes.  Taste, adjust the seasonings and serve in bowls garnished with parsley.

We had ours with a mixed green salad.


Here's dinner in my bowl:




Delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover