Monday, April 2, 2012

Garlicky Tortellini & Spinach Soup

This is a go-to recipe in my house.  I've made it more times than I can count.  It's super easy, super fast, and super yummy.

I made chicken stock over the weekend 'cause I didn't want a carcass that was sitting in my fridge to go bad, but more often than not, I use store bought.  Veggie broth would be just as delicious if chicken isn't your gig.  The only thing I was missing this time was the fresh basil.  It really does make a big difference, but in March, there just isn't any in the garden and it's way too expensive to justify buying it from the store.  So we went without and I added some dried to the broth.



Here's the recipe with my notes:

Garlicky Tortellini & Spinach Soup

1 Tbsp unsalted butter
6 to 8 cloves garlic, chopped
4 cups homemade or packaged low-sodium chicken broth (1 quart)
6 ounces fresh or frozen cheese tortellini (I used mini ravioli this time)
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes, with liquid
10 ounces fresh spinach, coarsely chopped if large (I've used chard before as well)
8 to 10 fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped, plus more for garnish
Grated Parmesan

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.  Add the broth and bring to a boil.  Add the tortellini and cook halfway.  Add the tomatoes and their liquid, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook just until the pasta is tender.  Stir in the spinach and basil.  Serve sprinkled with the cheese and more basil.


We had it with another salad using the Beet Vinaigrette.  Strawberries and goat cheese this time.  Man is that stuff good.

By the way, I almost always double the recipe.  That way, we can eat on if for two dinners and I get a night off in the kitchen.  :o)

Here's dinner in my  bowl:





And my salad:




5 comments:

  1. Nothing better than homemade soup. Store bought soup actually grosses me out a little. This sounds really yummy! I love spinach so I may need to give your recipe a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a talented person to come up with a recipe like this one. I'm so happy you decided to share it with the world. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm,..super smart to double it. I love to do that too,...one bout in the kitchen, two meals. Sweet. Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks excellent. My boy likes spinach.. this may be a winner at our house too, I will have to try it! And may I say, that salad is my fav too. Goat cheese. What is better? Nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum - I'm always on the lookout for a good soup recipe and this looks delicious. I like to double it too so I can have some for dinner and then for lunch a day or two. I love how you have a salad with everything (or a lot of things). I'm working on that.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover