Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Spiced Vanilla Pear Sauce

I got this recipe from the paper.  I ripped it out knowing full well I wasn't going to be canning, as it instructed.  I also knew I most likely would not be using the called for 8 pounds of pears.  I just wanted to remember the spices they put in it.  I'd say I used about 12 pears.  I just cored and chopped them, threw them in a pan and dumped the spices on top.  I drizzled the whole thing with some lemon juice, put a lid on it and simmered it for an hour or so.  Oh my gosh good.  It would be just as delicious with apples.  It would be good with dog poop, although I wouldn't recommend it.

If anyone wants the original recipe with the canning directions, just let me know.

Here's what I used:

Cored and chopped pears
Ground cinnamon
Ground cardamom
Ground nutmeg
Ground allspice
Split vanilla bean
Lemon juice

Here it is in the pot:





We ate it with dinner tonight, which revolved around finishing up some leftovers.
I dipped some thin-cut pork steaks in melted butter with minced garlic in it and then dredged them in some seasoned bread crumbs.  
I baked them in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes.
We had some leftover gravy and stuffing, so to go with that, I made mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli.
Bread with butter and jelly to top things off.
Yes, it was a lot of food.
And again, a lot of brown.

Here's dinner, and the pear sauce, on my plate:







7 comments:

  1. This is amazing Mindy! I can only imagine how yummy this smells.

    Oh and I was going to write you back on your last e-mail but I got distracted :)

    My husband is definitely starving. He had cereal and cinnamon twists (which are on the blog tomorrow) for dinner LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! Perfect for the fall season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so delicious Mindy!!
    I see your a big fan of pears! I love them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear I can smell those cooking,...mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pears are my fruit of choice for fall... again... another great recipe to try! Looks amazing! thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover