Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Roasted Pear Sauce

I cannot get on board with all this fall hubbub that's goin' on out in blogland.  I'm not ready (she says as she stomps her foot).  Summer just got to Oregon and now you're telling me it's over?!  I'm supposed to be bringing fall leaves in to decorate?  Not gonna do it.  There won't be a single pumpkin stepping foot in this house until October.

That being said, there is one thing about fall that already has me giddy.  The food!  I love fall food with all my heart.  I can't wait for slow cooked roasts, stews, whole roasted chickens with roasted veggies, stuffing, mashed potatoes, pork smothered in a balsamic reduction.  Yep, I'm ready for that.

This weekend I was given a ton of fresh picked pears.  Are you feelin' the fall aura with that one?  If anyone has any favorite recipes using pears, please share.  I've got a pizza with pears on the menu for this week that is one of the best things you'll ever eat in your life.  Yes, I'll share the recipe.

Of course we've eaten some just plain, but the first thing I thought of when I came home with them was this pear sauce recipe.  I made it several times last year and it's yummy.

Here's the recipe with my notes:

Roasted Pear Sauce 
(I doubled the recipe)

3 large pears, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 Tbsp butter, melted
2 Tbsp honey
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp snipped fresh sage



Preheat oven to 350.  
Place pears in shallow roasting pan.  
(a double batch fit on my large cookie sheet)  
Toss with melted butter.  


Roast, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes or until pears are tender, stirring once or twice.  
Cool 5 minutes.

 Transfer pears to a large bowl; add honey and lemon juice.  
Use immersion blender to blend pear mixture until almost smooth. 
(you could certainly use a food processor, blender, or even a potato masher)  

 
Stir in snipped fresh sage.
Serve warm.



We had ours for dinner last night with a pork tenderloin roast and baby red potatoes.  


It's also amazingly good on an appetizer platter.  
In that case, serve warm with toasted walnuts on top with some cheese and bread.  
YUM!  
It's also good on turkey sammies.  
It's good with a spoon straight out of the bowl for that matter.

You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for 3 months.

Don't forget, if you have a pear recipe that you think I MUST make, send it along!

5 comments:

  1. Take a look at her pear cake recipe . . . looks delicious. I think she lives near me in Santa Cruz, CA. Love your blog!!

    Niki

    http://heidi-heartandhome.blogspot.com/2009/09/heart-and-home-pear-cake-recipes.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Niki! I'm headin' over to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindy you crack me up! Love your style of writing! I am soooo ready for fall. I am over sweating my ass off the moment I step outside. Anywhoo this looks de-licious!!

    P.S WOOOOP woop you are over 100 followers! So exciting! Love your bloggity blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing! I never heard of that combination before! Must try.

    Okay it's like 62 degrees here and I'm all about staying inside and cleaning my shower today. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a sweet sauce with pork. Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover