Monday, August 1, 2011

Grilled Chili-Rubbed Flank Steak

AKA, Steak Tacos.

I've made this recipe a dozen times and we all love it.  It originally came from the newspaper in 2003.  It calls for flank steak, but I've used all different cuts of meat.  My favorite is Carne Asada, which is what I used tonight, but Flank, London Broil, and Sirloin are all good substitutes.  Chicken would probably even be good.

If you were doing a buffet, or large family-style dinner, I think the serving suggestion sounds like a good idea.  I, however, have never served it that way.  I always just serve the meat along with our favorite taco fixin's.

Here's the recipe with my notes:

1 large clove garlic
1 Tbsp chopped red onion
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2-pound flank steak
10 lime wedges
3 1/2-oz  Monterey jack cheese, shredded (1 C)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
12 6-inch corn tortillas, warmed

Prepare grill for medium-high or heat a grill pan.

In a food processor, pulse the garlic with the onion, lime juice, chili powder, salt and cumin.  


With the machine on, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until a paste forms.  
 Rub the paste all over the steak.
I let mine marinate in the refrigerator for about an hour and a half at this point, but I've let it go as long as overnight.



Grill the steak over a medium-high fire for 10 minutes, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 130 to 135 degrees for medium-rare.  
Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.  
(Adjust your cooking time based on the cut of meat you're using.  Carne Asada is super thin and only takes a few minutes to cook up.)


Cut the steak across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices.  
Arrange the meat on a platter.  
Squeeze the juice from 2 lime wedges over the steak slices, then top with the shredded cheese and cilantro.  Serve with the warm tortillas and the remaining lime wedges.

Here's dinner on my plate:
 





How excited am I for taco salad tomorrow night?
Yeah, pretty darned excited.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Yum Yum YUM!! Steak tacos is one of our favorite things to make on Sundays..its one of our little traditions. I think your recipe sounds pretty fantastico so I am going to bookmark this now for next Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that DOES look good. I had to laugh when you said that carne asado (which I've never heard of) is really thin and that's your favourite. We all know by now that a big thick slab of any meat isn't your thing, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tacos are the best! I bet that seasoning combo would work well on one of the veggie steak things I buy - I'll have to try it. Ironically I cooked 6 pounds of beef yesterday - for my dogs ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG that looks amazing!! my mouth is watering.. seriously!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover