Friday, August 5, 2011

The (F) unemployment & Holly's Nectarine Salad

Aren't ya glad I'm workin' my way through my Pinterest food boards so you don't have to?  It's like having your own personal taste tester.  :o)

I was seriously giddy in anticipation for tonight's dinner.  First of all, Grilled Cheese Social is a phenomenal blog, so if you haven't been there, you should head on over and check it out.  I'd say 90% of the sammies on my Sammies Board are from her blog.  I'm pretty sure she's secretly stalking me and knows every combination of foods I'm obsessed with, and then comes up with sandwich recipes made just for me.

What?  It could happen.

The one I made tonight is called The (F) unemployment Special.  It's basically just fig jam and brie.  Her original recipe calls for using pound cake for the bread and cooking it in rosemary butter.  I bought something called a Dutch Loaf and omitted the rosemary.

If you've never had fig jam, get on board - it's amazing.  If you're on the hunt for it, I suggest buying it at an international  grocery store.  You'll pay a fraction of the price, for five times the amount, as you would in a regular grocery store.

To go along with our sammies, I made the salad I raved about here.  The only thing I was missing was the goat cheese, but it was still good without it.  For dressing, I used Grandma's Dressing - my grandma's recipe.  I'll post it one of these days, but it's basically oil, vinegar and sugar.

I cooked up the sandwiches in two batches and kept them warm in the oven until The Dad got home from work.

Here's dinner coming together at my house:














And here's dinner on my plate:







Definitely worth getting giddy over.
Another keeper.



8 comments:

  1. Scrumptous!! Mmmmmm, I love fig jam. And the salad looks amazing. The sandwhich you made, with the addition of pears (the pears adds interesting sweetness and texture) , is more or less an appetizer I have tried to make. You've inspired me to try it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks sensational! I love this idea and what a great combination of flavours. Thanks for sharing this!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had fig jam but I love figs. And brie, mmmmmmm. That looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man...that sandwich looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That definitely looks amazing and I will definitely be trying that. Definitely!! Time to go make lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummm.. I'm a big fan of cheese and fig. Can't wait till tomorrow to get fig jam from the shop, so I can make these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks amazing! Anything with melted brie is a winner in my book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks guys - I ate it again for lunch today! :o)

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover