Friday, June 24, 2011

T is for Turtle: A Kid Lunch

I saw this turtle on Pinterest (you can check it out on my Kid Lunch Ideas board).  I thought it was so stinkin' cute and knew The Kid for sure would love it.  He's a fan of all things turtle. 

I knew I was going to make it today, however, "carving" the shell was not as easy as it looked.  I tried a veggie peeler first, found it to be too wide, so switched to a paring knife for the second one.  It didn't work that great either. 

All in all, it didn't quite turn out as I had envisioned, but they both still loved it.  Next time, I'd leave the majority of the peel on and just use something sharp to carve skinny lines.  Oh well.

Here's the deets:  For the turtle, I used half an apple for the shell, celery feet, mushroom head, and candy eyes.  The metal dishes have carrot sticks and red bell pepper in one and hummus in the other.  Pita chips off to the side.  The T's around the rim are cheddar cheese.

Here's lunch on the plate:







5 comments:

  1. How cute is that? My little guy would LOVE it :) Have a nice weekend, Mindy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute and a wonderful idea. I will have to try this one with my two youngest. They are sure to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute and yummy looking! I love this idea! I know what the kids are having for lunch tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! What a fun lunch! Such a cool Mom you are

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover